Saturday, May 30, 2009

Seawall!


Alrighty, it's a little late, but I am not in the complete state of mind where I would like to go to bed, even though I should be.
I really love these statues(?)- random bits of artwork. They are double sided, so both sides are pretty fun. They are all over downtown. Also, I have seen a few whales as well, but strangely, they don't appeal to me as much as the birds. I'll throw a picture in here and there. I have a few of them.

I took a walk today- it was an unexpected walk, but I very much enjoyed it. It was along the seawall near Granville Island.

Now, I'm not one hundred percent sure on what Granville Island is yet. It looked very intriguing, very expensive, and very... playground-ish (?) But I was really only looking at it from the entrance. I will find out more later.

The Seawall, however, is self-explanatory. It's a paved surface that is build along the sea. Thus being a wall... near the sea- get the picture? Haha. I very much would like a bicycle so that I could bike the seawall. It looks like it would be a great time, but alas, the bike has not happened yet. I'm working on it though. (If I do get the job I am going for Monday, I can bike to work along the seawall... awwwesooome!) I took a few pictures along the way. Mostly of flowers because they were beautiful and then some of the geese. You'll see.

So this is the harbour. The boats are lovely and so is Vancouver's skyline. It's built a little differently than Montreal. Definite HIGH rises, and a lot of glass. I think that the architecture out here is very modern, in terms of their fancy buildings. A lot of natural light gets into the homes, and I think that is pretty cool.

So here are some of the flowers I saw on my excursion today. There's a wonderfully gigantic poppy. I really liked the flaming orange of it. It was beautiful. The center of the flower was big and bulbous-y too. It was pretty neat.

Poppies are a little generic I guess. They are everywhere. But these ones were so terribly appealing in the wonderful sunshine of the afternoon. Really, really, really gorgeous flowers. I wanted to take them home. :)

These next flowers, I feel that I find them all over the place. I just haven't named them yet! I saw them in both pretty pink and rockin' red. Everything looked so pretty in the afternoon sun. Really. I know I've already said this, but there is just something about the sunlight, and beautiful summery days that make me really happy. I mean, you can't be upset on a warm sunny day. It's just miserable!

















Lastly, the geese. Now, I assume that you can tell I have a fondness for birds. I was about 2 feet away from this one goose standing on the pier. He was really pretty. I wanted to just pick him up and take him home. Clearly, I would not do this. I value my eyes, and any other limb or organ that can be pulverized via pecking, so I merely got as close as I could. I guess he was a little used to the public. The seawall is very highly trafficked and people run and bike with their dogs. They passed right by this guy and he didn't flinch.



Up next, and last picture (it's time for bed), is the goose family. It was very enlightening watching these birds in the water. One of the parents would signal and all the goslings would dive and swim under water. I really tried to get a picture, but when I realized what was happening they all came back to the surface. It was neat! I caught a video... I'll post it on my next blog.

Anyway... I was very impressed by the learning of the birds!

A little ways away from me, to my left, in the green patch in the sun were plenty more geese. Some were sleeping all huddled up against themselves, others were grazing. There were plenty of goslings at various stages of development. It was really cool. I know I sound like a child repeating the words cool and neat and impressive over and over again, but really I don't know how else to describe it!

I really liked the seawall. I hope to get a bike and do it for real. This was I guess the southern half, it took us from the Telus World of Science building to Kitsilano - very trendy part of town. $$$. I saw lots of SWWWWEEEEEEEET cars there. The seawall also goes along to Stanley Park, and I'd love to bike that one day. It would be fantastic. I need to look for that bike!!!!!

Good night for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment