Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cruising down the Open Road

On our first day's drive, leaving from Ottawa, Jamie and I made it passed Sault Ste. Marie. Which is roughly about 8 hours from Ottawa. We usually stop here, however this time, since we'd taken off in relatively good time, we decided to keep going for another few hours. So we drove to Wawa. We forgot to fill up on gas in Sault Ste. Marie, so we had half a tank and several hundred kilometres left- recipe for disaster! We were about 79 kilometres from Wawa when on an uphill, we saw the first sign of the gas light go on. It's a pretty hilly stretch of highway and we were starting to worry as to if we would make it to Wawa on what was left of our gas tank.
Luckily, we made it to a motel just outside of town. We had 7 kilometres or so left to Wawa or the nearest gas station. We weren't sure that the car would start when we got to it in the morning. But as luck would have it, it did.

We started out our second day on a good note. The car started and before we ran out of gas we found a gas station, filled up and hit the open road.

I guess that the picture isn't very clear as to what exactly is going on, but it was the best I could get. We saw several animals on and around the highway. In this picture, there is a moose on the road. We were rather far, and as we got closer it decided to run away. I tried to get a better picture of it, but it didn't turn out.

The second day's drive is always the nicest. We get to see Lake Superior most of the way as the highway winds around it. Here is a view through the window- I know, they are not the best pictures, being through the window and all, but it's all I could do.

The next series of pictures I took were in the prairies. Now, they aren't the most interesting. Prairies are flat and relatively boring to look at, Jamie hates driving them as they are pretty lame to drive. I'm trying to get these sideby side but I don't know how, nor do I have the patience to tinker with it.

So as you can see the prairies are pretty flat. Beautiful endless skies. Great for sunsets and spotting rain in the distance. I couldn't tell you the exact locations of where these pictures were taken, everything looks pretty much the same!

Saskatchewan is pretty flat- but less flat than Manitoba. And once Alberta comes around there is alittle more of the rolling hill scenery. Lots of cows too. Mostly they are black... which I assume means they are angus... Gotta love Alberta beef!

Other than that, ther's nothing to see! Haha.

With the endless skies, there are beautiful sunsets- as I already said. I managed to get some pretty awesome pictures of a sunset. Just the one. It's all the same sky.


Here you have my drive. Or at least what I documented of it.

I drove a little bit, in Saskatchewan. It was REALLY windy. So much so that letting go of the wheel meant the car wanted to veer off the road! Crazy! We passed warning signs that said WIND GUSTS... I never thought the wind would be that strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment