Thursday, May 28, 2009

Okie Dokes!


So I am settling in. I haven't really unpacked much, or put much into my closet yet. I am a little apprehensive about doing this because there are two hardcore bikes in the closet and I don't want my pretty clean clothing to accidentally touch some dirty chain. Also, I have no real furniture other than what was left for me by Carolyn and John (Jamie's cousin and her fiancé), which I am more than thankful for because I showed up affording nothing much but my food and rent.

Wonderful!

I have made some friends, so my time gets booked up a little quicker and I am not as alone as I was forseeing. I think I have figured out that I like people. As much as I have always thought myself more of an anti-social being, when faced with this crisis of being alone for however long Jamie was gone, I quickly opted to make friends. It's just happier that way. I'm happier that way.

I love my neighborhood to absolute bits. It's got such a good vibe that I wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now. From my place, I walk down about half a block to Commercial Drive and there are tons of awesome shops, cafes and pubs or bars... and if I look to the north, I see a mountain range. This mountain range comes fully equiped with lights for night skiing. Awww yeah! I can't wait to be tearing up the mountains out here. They are just so much bigger than those in and around Montreal. I love it. No matter where I am in Vancouver, as long as I can get a clear view to the north all I see are mountains. It makes going outside even better.

Other than the wonderful things that I have seen and friends I have made, I am still in search of that ever evasive job. I wonder how long it will take. I have four placement agencies looking for me, as well as my applying to jobs on the internet. I do think I have found the one I want, and I am going to work my damnedest to get it. It will let me write and edit, and I'll also get to help administrate an office of structural engineers. Which is cool. They worked on a building for the 2010 Olympics and I read up on it... it's a pretty great building. It uses dead pine beetle wood which is pretty awesome in my books because most of British Columbia's forest has been devastated by the pine beetle and the wood is rendered useless if it's not used within a certain time frame. I'm glad to see that this is putting it to good use. If you are so incline to see the building in questions, click here: Richmond Olympic Oval. It's the arena where the speed skating, I believe, will be taking place. Either way, it's pretty neat.

I know my way around a little better now. I also had a chance to eat some restaurant food out here. As in... sushi. It's WAAAYYY better than that crap they serve back home! Haha. It tastes way fresher.

So here are some more pictures... enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment